I receive a number of requests from students each week, and have answered the most common questions here:
Do you supervise Masters dissertations and PhD thesis?
Yes, depending on the topic of your dissertation or thesis, I will be happy to be your external supervisor. It is usually advisable that the formal arrangements between your university and myself be confirmed first before we start working together. This is to make sure your director of study and I are on the same page and can offer you coherent advice.
How can I become a professional in the field of sexual health?
Depending on your area of interest (who you would like to work with, what kind of education you have access to, your current educational level and credentials, what needs you would like to fulfill in the society) you can choose to follow one of these paths (or combine them as I did!): behavioral sciences, clinical sciences, education & pedagogical sciences, research sciences, socio-cultural studies. You can read more about these paths by clicking here.
Is it possible to have internship with you?
Unfortunately, I don’t offer clinical internships.
How can I become a psychosexual therapist or a clinical sex therapist?
This falls under the category of behavioral sciences. There are a number of accredited courses globally that offer this training; however, if you are not already licensed as a health care practitioner in your country/state, you need to make sure that the course is accredited by a credible board both in the country that it is being offered and in the country you intend to practice. For example, there are a number of courses that offer good content and are great for already-licensed professionals who would like to learn about the area of sexuality. However, they might not be accredited; therefore, you can’t practice by only having their certificates or degrees.
• MSc / Postgraduate Diploma in Sexual and Relationship Psychotherapy at Porterbrook Clinic in Sheffield, UK
• Postgraduate Diploma in Psychosexual Therapy at Relate Institute in Doncaster and London, UK
• Diploma in Psychosexual and Relationship Counseling at Regents College in London, UK
• PhD in Family Human Sexuality at Widener University in Widener, PA
• MA in Marriage and Family Therapy at Hofstra University in New York, NY
• PhD in Marriage and Family Therapy at University of Minnesota in St Paul, MN
• BA and MA in Sexology at University of Quebec in Montreal, QC
• MSc in Couple and Therapy at University of Guelph in Guelph, ON
• PhD in Clinical Psychology at University of New Brunswick, Saint John, NB
If you are aware of any other accredited courses in your country/state, please write to me and I will add it to the list after I learned about them further.Helpful associations to be familiar with:
World Association for Sexual Health
European Federation of Sexology
American Association for Sex Educators, Counselors and Therapists
American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
College of Sexual and Relationship Therapists
Australian Society of Sex Educators, Researchers and Therapists
The Association of Psychosexual Nursing
The Society for Sex Therapy and Research (SSTAR)