Dr. Sara’s practice and the process of Sex & Relationship Consulting is designed to enable clients to discover insights which they then an use to optimize their relationships, personal or professional. You can book your appointments for a consultation with Dr. Sara individually, as a couple or with a small group of friends. If you have any questions before booking your appointment, please visit the contact page and we will get back to you soon.
Common areas of work
- Dating advice: how to find the right match, how to connect to the person you like and how to best express yourself.
- Relationship Consultation: moving from arguing to talking, balancing a demanding job and a fulfilling relationship, and managing expectations.
- Sexuality Counseling: overcoming relational, emotional and physical issues, communicating what partners want in a non-threatening way, defining what is ‘normal’ and what is not in relationships, pain issues and lack of interest.
- Communication advice: creating the most genuine and effective verbal and non-verbal communication strategies that could help you form and grow your relationships with co-workers, employees and your employer.
This is the first face-to-face consultation or virtual session that you individually or together with your partner will have with Dr. Sara. It takes about 120 minutes where you will describe your concern(s) in detail. She will ask you specific questions and at the end of the session, you and Dr. Sara will set realistic goals for the process of your work and decide what path is the best way forward.
Individual and Couples Consultations
Ongoing consultations are scheduled at the beginning of each month. They will be on a weekly basis initially and take 50 minutes each. You can attend the sessions together as a couple or individually, depending on how it suits your program. Dr. Sara and you will review your progress every six sessions. After you achieve your goals, you will arrange for appointments every other weeks and then once a month or every other months. After that, you can book ad hoc sessions as boosters! Your commitment to the process and the homework you are assigned to determines your level of success.
The content of the sessions will be kept confidential. There are exceptions to this (such as harming yourself or others) which we shall discuss on your first visit. You will be informed before any information discussed with anyone else. If you are a public figure, please inform us in advance so the appropriate measures could be taken to secure your privacy/confidentiality on your arrival and departure.
Dr. Sara Nasserzadeh is a social psychologist. She is an Accredited Psychosexual Therapist by The College of Sex and Relationship Therapy (COSRT) in the UK and a Certified Sexuality Counselor and Training provider by the American Association for Sexuality Educators Counselors and Therapists (AASECT). She is not a mental health practitioner and if needed she would make suggestions for your referral to a licensed mental health professional in that field. Dr. Sara practices within the scope of sexuality and relationship consulting, which are not covered by insurances.
Past Clients’ Experiences
“Working with Dr Nasserzadeh was my secret weapon — she was my business (and sometimes personal) Cyrano de Bergerac. As a C level executive working with a largely male senior team and board, Dr Nasserzadeh’s astute insights and communications strategies proved critical in helping me navigate my way through numerous tricky conversations and situations. I am deeply grateful for her wise counsel and feel lucky to have her in my life”.
– Jules K., C level executive of tech startups, formerly at Google. 2016
Clare: “We had been having problems, fighting and arguing. Couple’s therapy wasn’t really working but when we met Sara and she introduced elements of both relationship and sex coaching, I felt we are moving somewhere. We were unlucky the first two times round so having a third counselor who was helpful, non-judgmental, positive with a constructive advice restored my trust.
Sara was a true coach. [She] gave me also inspiration for future once problems were overcome in order to maintain good and healthy relationship ‘in the kitchen and in the bedroom’. It wasn’t always easy, but the end result was worth it. The process did not cure my issues overnight but it helped me be aware of how to see things more calmly and clearly. Now I can say, it was the best thing to happen to us! We learned about each other, we learned about ourselves, and we learned about relationships in general. It was difficult, and frightening at times. We worked through a lot of what was going on for us, and we’re better off for having been in couple’s therapy alone. Now we have a little boy and future does not seems daunting any more. We have some useful tools from Sara”.
Gabriel: “It seemed as though we were spending more time angry with one another than happy together. Looking back, I know now that I was being self-righteous and seeing Clara as the problem. For example, I would focus on how she said things and getting uppity about that. Sara coached past that to listen to what Clara was actually saying and really respond to that, rather than making a knee-jerk response.
Sara helped me to look at my own behavior and understand how I was creating my own rut and then getting stuck in it. Her guidance helped me unlearn some of my worst habits, and really connect with Clara instead. I think going to her saved our relationship. We’re now very happy together and the proud parents of a wonderful son, conceived and born since our time with Sara”
– Clare & Gabriel TK. 2013
Advanced Consultation Group for Couples and Sex Therapy
Story behind the group
Since I moved to the Bay area 3 years ago, many colleagues approached me and asked if I could form a group only for advanced sex therapists. Considering the lack of resources and support in Northern California around sex therapy, in 2019, I am planning to start such a group. I will be combining information and skills’ practices through actual practical tools (toys, videos, etc.) as well as experiential work. Self-care will be a fundamental part of our work too. Most recent research in the field will be shared and discussed. At this advanced group, we can really look deeper into ourselves as practitioners as well as what we can offer to a wider range of clients.
Who Can Attend
Specific previous education in the field of human sexuality and clinical experiences are needed to qualify for this group. This is to ensure value for all. If you are interested, but you lack the education or required experiences, then please look into joining me for a cohort of HAT Training to gain systematic training in psychosexual therapy (starting first week of January).
- Mental Health Professionals
- Sex Therapists
- Sexuality Counselors
- Sexuality Educators
- Marriage and Family Therapists (MFTs)
- Couple Therapists and Counselors
- Obstetrics and Gynecologists
- Urologists and Andrologists
- Physical Therapists
- Sexuality Researchers
- Psychosexual Therapists
Format and Fees
- Registration is needed by December 31st to guarantee your spot. .
- 3 hours every month except for July and August (overall 10 months for 30 hours): Jan 11, Feb 8, Mar 8, Apr 12, May10, June 14- No meetings in July and August-, Sept 13, Oct 11, Nov 8, Dec 13.
- We will meet at my office in Palo Alto (467 Hamilton Avenue).
- Light refreshments will be provided
- Please dress comfortably as we will move about and might walk to different places as well.
- Second Fridays of the month 9-12 pm (Jan11, we will meet from 1 to 4 pm to get us started)
- $250 per session for a total of $2500 payable upon registration (other options are available)
- I ask that you kindly commit to all 10 sessions to keep the integrity of the group (if you have to miss a session, material from that session will be shared with you and I will make myself available to walk you through them, if needed).
- BBS and AASECT CEs are provided
Format of each session will be:
- Checking in
- Topic of the Day (decided by the group the session before)
- Case Studies (at least 2 deep dives). If the group has no cases to present, I will bring 2 cases to each session to be discussed and analyzed
- Cultural, religious, bio-psycho aspects will be discussed in depth.
- Self-Care practice
- Bonus: site visit, guest speakers, updates in the field
There will be one group per 8 participants to ensure quality of the sessions.
Commonly Asked Questions
- Do I have to have a case every time to attend? No.
- Am I guaranteed a time to present my issues and cases? Yes. Every member of the group who has a case to present would communicate up to 24 hours prior to the meeting. They will each be given an allocated time to present, ask questions or bring in an issue of interest and receive feedback including practical tips for practice from Dr. Sara and comments from other members of the group.
- Do I have to present on my own case to benefit? Absolutely not! There will be practical suggestions for session management and the process that could be utilized for clients with similar or different presenting problems at your own practice.
- Do I have to specialize in psychosexual issues to benefit? Yes. Anyone who sees clients or have a particular interest to raise awareness, knowledge and skills in working with psychosexual issues within couples and in individuals could benefit from these rich sessions.
- What should I expect from the experience? My goal is to offer individual support as well as to create a community of practitioners who share similar understanding around the assessment, diagnosis, treatment and management of psychosexual issues. We can have some support for junior sex therapists; however, for seasoned colleagues there is not much of a systematic support. A community that could offer insight and wisdom based on knowledge and clinical experience will be invaluable to advanced therapists.
- I am not based in the Bay Area, how can I join a group? Please email us and I will add you to the online consultation group that is consisted of national and international participants from around the world.
- How do I register? Please email us with your interest and you will receive more information to register.
- Can I pay the fee in installments? Yes, you can either pay $2500 upon registration (by December 31st) or pay in three installments: $1000 upon registration by December 31, $1000 by June 1 and $800 by September 1 (a total of $2800). Please contact me if you have any questions.
“ I have been a couple counselor for 11 years before I started seeing an increase of presenting sexual problems at my practice. I am glad I reached out to Sara especially in cases that I thought I could not do much more. Sara is authentic, creative in her approach and her knowledge of various aspects of sexual issues is second to none. I am really glad I met her!” Kim Wallace, PhD Couple Therapist
“ I attended Sara’s group supervisions online. This group is a rich resource for me. Where I practice there are not many people who deal with sexual issues. I can come into the group with anything really. From self reflection and doubts to issues with patient management. Her approach is truly holistic and our group is like my professional family now.” Nahid Farahi, MD Psychiatrist
“Being supervised by Sara is a unique experience all around. My supervision and training with her through her HAT program provided me an opportunity to grow and learn new skills as a beginner therapist. Sara has the ability to inspire and challenge you while making you feel comfortable and connected in both one-on-one and group settings. She awakens a passion in you. Sara’s knowledge and wisdom come from her world travels and involvement, not just what goes on in the therapy room. Learning about diversity, especially when the topic is sexuality, is invaluable to the practice of therapy. I have learned so much about being a professional from Sara as well. She is caring and supportive throughout the process and this models how to be with clients. I am so glad that I invested in myself and my clients by taking the training with Sara.” Lynn Kufner M.Ed., Ed.S.
World Association for Sexual Health (WAS) has devised the International Guidelines for the Standard Practices in various disciplines in the field of Human Sexuality. One of Dr. Sara’s responsibilities as an Executive Officer at WAS and an elected member of these committees has been to help colleagues within various regions and countries to implement successful sexuality education programs for their institutions, communities and at the national level. You can contact her to arrange for consultation if your organization, NGO, university or association is in need of help to evaluate programs or implement standards of practice in place.
WAS standards of professions for the Sexuality and Relationship Education and Promotion could be viewed here and the guidelines for the Sex and Relationship Counselors and Psychotherapists could be accessed here.
Over the years, I have worked with talented students from across the world as an external supervisor for their thesis and dissertations.
The topics ranged within the realm of social psychology, social marginalization (or exclusion), socio-cultural issues, sexual health and relationship education, clinical services and therapeutic approaches.
I have supervised or been an external examiner for students from Sydney University, New York University, Tehran University, University of Cambridge, University of Lyon, Columbia University graduate school of Journalism and so on.
- The role of sexual communication in couple’s overall relationship satisfaction
- Economics of sex
- Disability and sexuality
- Immigrants attitudes towards sexuality
- Effective sexual health curriculum for schools
- Influencing factors on gender identity of young men
- Sexual development in the context of culture
- Influence of cultural values on sexual development of young men and women
- The use of systems approach in assessment and diagnosis of sexual dysfunctions within a couple’s dynamic
If you are a doctoral student and would like me to be your external supervisor/advisor, I could review your research proposal and if the topic was within the area of my expertise, you would be asked to formalize this relationship through your university and then your supervision meetings with me typically in the format of Skype sessions on a monthly basis could begin.